Thursday, February 23, 2012

If it doesn't work as a photograph try a painting. Part one of ?????

I really like the photograph, but it's just a little fuzzy, just enough that it won't work enlarged.  So what do you do?  I am in the middle of my most ambitious project to date.  I am enlarging a 8"x8" picture to a 4'x4' mural.  I will document the progress via blog.

First step is to grid the work surface. I tried something new, I've never tried this before, but the concept is good.  I took powdered charcoal and a heavyweight cotton string and a tupperware containter.  I loaded the string with charcoal and with my husband's help snapped lines on the painted masonite.  I had premarked the masonite at 6" intervals.

Next I drew in the squares and the picture started to shape up.  With careful observation, and drawing the picture is extremely close to the original picture. I was pleased at how easy it was to draw an accurate drawing. 



Once the picture was drawn, I started painting.  I think I made a mistake, but I will continue and do my best to pull it off.  I should have started with the skin tone, but I started with the hair. My husband the other talented artist in the family has said her skin is too dark, but I have a great midtone.  Now I just need to accentuate the lights and darks.  I lay in the values, and then stand back and make adjustments. It's hard to fix one area when it is only half finished.






I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment