Thursday, February 16, 2012

Depth of Field: What do YOU focus on?


So seriously I did a science experiment when I was a kid on depth of field. I'll admit that it was my dad's idea, and I really didn't get it at the time. I lined up a bunch of bears and took photos at different f-stops.  I still have a time understanding how to use it to my benefit.

Well last week I met an amazing photographer who shows his work and gives lessons on photography. He gave me some hints and tips and I am finally getting it! The look I want is achievable using various means. When dealing with longer distances, the f-stops make a difference.

 When dealing with closer distances, I'm finding more success using the macro mode. I finally figured out how to zoom the lens in macro mode. The reason I find this more ideal is because macro mode exaggerates the limited depth of field. What this means is I can take pictures closer up and blur the items in front, and items behind the object I want to be clear.





The trick is to figure out what you want to focus on, and make that the sharpest and clearest part of your picture.  
 I'm sure there are lenses out there that will do that much easier, but since the camera I'm using doesn't have the option to switch out lenses, I have to make do with what I have. But I'm not complaining, because I have figured out a way to get what I want.


 I took some neat pictures of daffodils today, I love the flip up and swivel display on the camera, although I still had to squat, I didn't have to lay on the ground to take a decent picture, I could still see the composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment